Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Additional Assignment #2

The Child-Driven Education

The children in this video are proof that if learners are motivated, then they can in fact teach themselves. I think that kids are just as capable if not more than adults to teach themselves. I do think however that the kids need motivation as well as support from each other to learn on their own. Its like Sugata Mitra said, if a child sits in front of a computer by himself, he wont learn as much as if there is a group discussing the topic. It is clear from this video that internet access is very important when the kids are teaching themselves. It gives them a place to search for information and helps  them use their creativity to the fullest. I don't think that a child or adult could teach themselves if there is no desire to learn.
  Problems and questions play an important role in self learning because it gives the learner something to search for or to solve. I am motivated to learn be being challenged and also be being told that I can or should know something. I think people are motivated by the idea that they have the power to better themselves or their life. I think that most everyone who is motivated can teach themselves to a certain extent, but of course there will be some people who can go further than others.
 I feel like I do teach myself sometimes, especially in online classes or if I miss a certain section of one of my classes. In my learning teachers play the role of motivating me as well as giving base knowledge if it is a subject I am not familiar with. The most important question that I take from this video is that if this much success in self teaching is being found in these conditions, how long is it going to be before teachers are no longer a significant part of learning? We as aspiring teachers should be considering how we can fit into this cycle of learning and still be an important contribution to education.

No comments:

Post a Comment