Sunday, October 17, 2010

Blog Assignment #8

Skysrapers
This is How We Dream
These two videos showed how different writing is now than in the past. It also shows how much different it may become in the future. Dr. Miller explains that the times of libraries and paper books that are printed and borrowed or bought is pretty much over. He shows how he wrote an entire speech without using anything but his resources on the computer, and how that same document is shared today.
I do not think that at this moment I am fully prepared to write with multimedia. There is constantly some new technique to learn when using it to do projects. But I do think that with every assignment I receive in my classes I get a little closer to being perfectly comfortable with using multimedia to produce a document. We really have no choice but to become prepared to write using multimedia, especially in the education field. It is definitely more convenient to be able to produce as well as access information all in one spot.
I think that my future students will be able to do this, maybe even better than me. This is because their generation is already being exposed to this sort of writing at a young age. By the time I am teaching I think that it is safe to say that multimedia writing will be the common way of producing a document. Its possible that the students may not even remember the days of going into a library and using paper books to do research.

Chipper and EDM For Dummies
If I were to create a video like  this I think it would be a good idea to make one about the benefits of going to college. Another idea would be to make a video about a technology illiterate person trying to keep up with our society. The chipper video was about a girl who was not devoted to school and did not think she should have to put any effort into anything she did. I thought the video was funny as well as a good example of why this class is important. The EDM for dummies video was showing EDM 310 students who were panicing about the class. Then they have the book EDM for dummies which contains tutorials for most of the tools we use in EDM. I think this book would have been very helpful!

Smartboards
The first two posts were against smartboards and they argued that they were just an expensive version of the same thing we already have. Both posts said that the schools should be focused on improving the style of learning for the students not a more technology savvy way of doing the same old thing. The third post was for teachers who were in favor of the smartboard and want to get  them in more classrooms. This post was representing smartboards as a good tool for teachers. I can see where the first two posts are coming from and also why the third post says smartboards are a good thing. Here is the link to the third post.
http://smartboardrevolution.ning.com/profiles/blogs/why-smart-boards-wallwisher

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I will have to work on the multimedia writing because by the time I am a teacher, my students will probably be more advanced than me. The EDM310 video was a great example of me the first week of school. I am fine now that I am used to scheduling time to do all my work, but I still think that selling that book would be a great idea! I am in favor for the smartboard. I have seen how the students interact with them, also how it helps them get more involved. Your blog looks great! Keep up the good work!
    -Kayla

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post Haley!

    I think its a little more than just writing with multimedia. Dr. Miller is talking about a whole new way of reading, writing, and educating in general. He is envisioning what I believe we are headed for, an entire new concept of literacy. And as Dr. Miller indicated the pedagogy to teach and learn in this way has not even been invented yet. But, we are working on it. All of us in education are currently engaged in this educational/technological revolution whether we like it or not. Will you embrace it? I hope so. I know I do. It is an exciting time to be involved in education. SS

    ReplyDelete