Sunday, October 3, 2010

Blog Assignment #6

Networked Student
In this video Wendy Drexler shows what a PLN is and how a student uses it. This was very helpful for to to understand what a pln is and how to develop and use my own. I thought that the narration and paper visuals were very creative and interesting. I liked the fact that she listed so many examples of helpful things on the internet that students have access to.
This video was very well thought out and is a good tool for anyone who needs to know how technology can help their learning. I think that the teacher she shows in her video is in our near future, and may be us. I like the idea of going from a book and a lecture to making connections that will better benefit your education. I think that we can learn more from each other than  from a book.
I hope she does try this type of learning with her middle school students. They will benefit greatly from having a PLN that early in their education. Maybe she will make another video about how it went. Her video was very informative and I will probably reference back when creating my PLN. I am glad I got to see this video.

A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment
This video was a 7th grade girl showing her PLE and explaining why it was helpful and how she used it. I think it is great that she has so many resources to choose from when doin work. I also like the fact that her science class is paperless. I think that more classes need to be paperless and more middle school students should be developing PLEs. Her PLE is much like my PLN in the way that I use my sources to find out information that I am interested in as well as to do the work I have to do.

The Machine is Changing Us
This speech by Dr. Wesch was entertaining and eye opening about the cultures of the past and the options we have for the culture of our future. This can relate to my personal life because I agree that media has made us unattached and careless. I also found his history of whatever very interesting. When he was talking about his college class and the lack of interaction and public debate I can relate because in larger classed I sometimes feel detached and uninterested. As far as my future as a teacher I think the end of his speech is very important because he gives a new definition of whatever that says, "I care. Lets do whatever it takes... by whatever means necessary." It will be our responsibility as future educators to carry this definition and encourage the next generation to keep it true.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Haley, good job. The video by the 7th grader was very well done. Her PLN looked pretty cool. And your right, her PLE was a lot like our PLN. I can't believe she's only in 7th grade, I think she did a better video than I could have done!
    And I totally agree with you about Dr. Wesch's video. I think the media today does have a huge effect on the people and especially the youth. I also feel sort of "out of touch" in a bigger class. I like the smaller classes better, it's easier to get help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Haley!

    You are correct, the times are changing. Pencil and paper in college today is almost unheard of and research can be done without ever physically going to a library. This is why the personal learning network (PLN) assignment is included in EDM 310. Now it is so important to develop networks of people, websites, blogs, etc. Like you said, "I think that we can learn more from each other than from a book." We learn from a lot of different sources and the PLN assignment helps students organize this information and keep up with where to find the information they need for a given topic quickly and efficiently.

    Your blog looks good. Make sure you proofread before posting. Otherwise, keep up the good work. SS

    ReplyDelete